Friday, June 27, 2014

UnBeloved by Madeline Sheehan.... Review by Dawn








~Blurb~

Warning: This is not a conventional or predictable love story. It involves one woman and two men bound by a love so destructive it spans two decades, pitting brother against brother, and shattering the lives of those touched by it. 

Dorothy Kelley is a born romantic, searching for her prince. Instead she finds herself pregnant at fifteen, and a in a loveless marriage by the tender age of eighteen. Then hope comes riding into her life on a motorcycle and within weeks, Jason “Jase” Brady, a member of the Hell’s Horsemen motorcycle club, sweeps Dorothy off her feet. 

But nothing is ever simple for Dorothy. Jase is married with children. And as Dorothy patiently waits for Jase to give her the happily-ever-after she’s been dreaming about, James “Hawk” Young, a member of the Hell’s Horsemen with secrets of his own, sees an opening into Dorothy’s life and takes it. What follows is a long and painful journey of self-discovery and forgiveness, as Dorothy comes to realize that home was exactly where she’d left it, and the love she’d forever craved had always been within her reach. 

This is the story of Dorothy, Jase, and Hawk. 

We are all born pure; it is our journey that burdens us and leads us astray. Our mistakes that beat us down and cover us in guilt and shame, burying us a little more with each passing hardship. It is up to us to dig ourselves out, to come to terms with our faults, to embrace not only our imperfections but those of the ones we love, and to once again find the path we strayed from.



I am not even sure where to start... I had to take a day before I wrote this review and let it all soak in. I had to get my emotions in check and wrap my head around what I just read...We all have a favorite author, one who we just have to get their latest release as soon as it comes out. For me, its Madeline Sheehan... I am never let down, never left feeling like something was a miss. The ONLY thing I am left feeling is... sadness...why you ask? Because I have devoured it in one setting, knowing I am going to have to wait for the next one... and that makes me sad! But the writing of each book, and the way she tells a story make us keep coming back, making us wait is so worth the end result.
That is writing magic...

UnBeloved, is a great addition to this Amazing Series. I laughed until I cried. I mean when  Cox is referencing "Niagara Falls" and Kami yelling at Hawk "Shut up Gorbachev."  I lost it so hard... I will have to say my favorite laughable moment was this ...

"At least it looked like ZZ -- if ZZ and the Terminator had a fuck fest that had produced a love child named "War Monger" who had been kept on a steady diet solely of raw eggs and steroids."

That is writing magic... 

I cried so much while reading this book. I felt like I was either going to laugh myself to tears or just cry like a baby, because of the emotional roller coaster ride she took us on. When Hawk goes away and he is leaving his son Christopher, I lost it... I cried so hard I could not see my kindle. I recovered only to lose it a few paragraphs later when Hawk is with Deuce. Hawk loses his shit and starts hitting the dashboard of Deuces truck until his hands were bleeding and the dash was cracked. I mean, good lord I had to take a break and compose myself enough to finish the book!!!
That is writing magic...

Dorothy was always a background player for me. I never considered her a "club piece." We got to know a bit more about her in UnA and I was thinking "oh, that poor woman."  I was thrilled to get to know her better. She seemed to come into her own and I really like her. When she made her decision and expressed why to Jase, I was giving her a standing O. We all know someone who is or has been caught between two men (and not in the fun way!) She handled it exactly the way it needed to be... scream and beat the hell out of the man who had driven you crazy for years! Maybe it was not her finest moment, but it HAD to be done. Seeing a character, mature and finally realize, that your heart gets it wrong sometimes. Seeing a mother understand her mistakes and hold herself accountable. Seeing a woman pledge her undying love to a good man.
That is writing magic...

Was there the drama/angst/torture like the previous 3? Not as much. But this was a situation where emotions were on high for years and it needed to be told in a different way. We still see a strong Deuce, but a more compassionate man. Does that make him weak? To me NO, it makes him so much more of a Man!  Characters need to evolve, to grow and lets not forget this takes place over years and years! I didn't feel like we needed pages and pages of back story or every detail that happened between Hawk/Dorothy and Jase... the book would have been over a thousand pages. 

And can we talk epilogue?!? HOLY CRAP, talk about EPIC!  I am always extremely happy with an epilogue. It gives me a feeling of completion. Um, this one left me with a feeling of ... "WTF just happened?"  I did NOT see that coming and I LOVE THAT!!! That is an author who knows just how to keep us all guessing about the plot of books to come. Everyone who has read this book, we all have one thing in common, we are all wondering, what the hell is going to happen in ZZ's book? And it not even the next one in the series! Talk about dangling a carrot in all our "information hungry" faces.
Again..... That is writing magic.
No one tells a MC story like Madeline Sheehan.     

5 shining clocks across the board for UnBeloved!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment