Thursday, October 31, 2013

Malicious Mischief by Marianne Harden...review by Kathy

 
 
 
Blurb-
 
Is it strange to have the unemployment office on speed dial? Not for twenty-four-year-old college dropout Rylie Keyes. Her current job at a small retirement home is worlds more important than all her past gigs, though: if she loses this one, she won’t be able to stop the forced sale of her and her grandfather’s home, a house that has been in the family for ages. But keeping her job means figuring out the truth about a senior citizen who was found murdered while in her care. Explain that one, Miss Keyes.

The late Otto Weiner was thought to be a penniless Nazi concentration camp survivor with a silly grudge against Rylie. However, Otto was not a liked man by any means, and his enemies will stop at nothing to keep their part in his murder secret.

Forced to dust off the PI training she has to keep hidden from her ex-detective grandfather, Rylie must align with a circus-bike-wheeling Samoan while juggling the attention of two very hot cops who each get her all hot and bothered for very different reasons. And as she trudges through this new realm of perseverance, she has no idea that along the way she just might win, or lose, a little piece of her heart.
This is Marianne Hardens debut novel. It is also the first in the Rylie Keyes series.
So lets start at the beginning.....Rylie is a woman who has a hard time keeping a job. She really wants to be a PI but her grandfather does not want her to be one. She has been in love with her friend Zach for years. Her  best friend is a former NFL lineman turned circus bike rider named Solo.  She has kept her job driving seniors for the Fountain of Youth (FOY) retirement community for 4 months. In one night though she has 2 accidents and 3 dead bodies. She has just a few days to solve the crime while her grandfather is away. She has to deal with Lipschitz, a douchebag detective who wants her. A hot new detective, Scottish Thad Talon, who is new. Nymphomaniac seniors with herpes. Dead Nazi's. Family legacies. And that's just the first day.....

"Suicidal jumpers need professional help,"he said. " Not amateurs."
"Have you forgotten my suicide prevention training?"
"Two weeks preparing for the hotline doesn't make you a professional."
I caught his tone: frustration. "But you said I was perfect for the job."
"And you're the one who messed up your first call by answering 'Poisons to go. At the end of your rope, we got your dope," he sing-songed.
"That's not fair,Zach."Shame and irritation swamped me. "You of all people know that's just not fair. I made a mistake. I accidentally leaned on the LIVE button.I thought the incoming call was a practical joke, not the real thing."


I couldn't stop myself from looking. Her face was indeed colorful. And bloody. My eyes popped wide at the sight of all that red. Gulping breaths, I told myself not to faint.
"Hey, girlie, you think I should tell Maybelline about fish blood? Might be a little lolly in it for me--" Cokey Bill broke off with a gasp. "Blimey, look at that, your arse is bare."
 I managed to look down. Froze. Zach's jacket had somehow twisted to the front, leaving my butt out in the open. I started to tug it back into place, spied a huge pool of blood nearby, and keeled over. Splat.
"Isn't that somethin', you're  wearing a pink thong." Cokey Bill's voice sounded distant.
"Doris won't wear one, on account of her incontinence."
Dizzily, I struggled to my knees, staggered a little, then righted with a hand to one of the orange boxes for support. "Mr. Oley--we need to get--help. Doris needs--help.
"Ah, that's the sweetest thing, you moving over like that. I got a nice view now."
I lapsed into a moment of stillness, hand to my heart. I had a strong feeling nothing could be done for Doris, so I wanted to give Cokey Bill a moment with his wife.
"Rare and beautiful thing, a nice ass," he said.
Omigod! " Are you kidding me?You pervert. You're looking at my butt!"
"I'm a simple man," he said.
"You should be ashamed--" I broke off when his eyes went glassy. "Mr. Oley, are you all right?"
He sunk lower in his seat, grinned, and sagged against the steering wheel, making the horn blare with his pointy nose.
I couldn't move, couldn't blink. This wasn't happening.


So much happens to Rylie. I loved it. I was cracking up at some of the things she got into while trying to prove to everyone that she has what it takes to be a detective. Talon was ahhhhhh. Love a man with an accent. Very mysterious but yet yummm. I wish there had been more with the 2 characters. This is not a romance. This is a mystery with a little romance thrown in. Hopefully as the series progress's we will get more of the yummy Scotsman.

The dynamics with Rylie and Zach were interesting. I don't want to give anything away but its obvious they care about one another, they just both need to be on the same page. Solo is a great sidekick. He is all about keeping in balance, but wants to help Rylie any way that he can. The seniors in the book just cracked me up. There is a lot  of humorous parts to the book. This is not a HEA book but a new mystery series. If you like Janet Evanovich or Camilla Chafer's books, you will love this new series.There is an excerpt from the 2nd book in the series at the end. I will definitely be checking out that one when it comes out. I am giving this one 5 clocks. Great debut book.

 

1 comment: