Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Carter Reed by Tijan

 

 
~blurb~
 
Emma decided to skip the gym and went home early. It was the last easy decision she made because she found her roommate being raped by the boyfriend. She had two choices. Call the cops and be killed by his family’s mafia connections or kill him first and hope to survive. There was no choice to her. She killed the bastard first and went to the one person who could protect her. Carter Reed. He’s a weapon for the rivaling mafia family, but he’s also Emma’s secret. Not only was he best friends with her brother, but she’s the reason he became that weapon in the first place.
 
 


I do want to start this by saying I did enjoyed this book...now with that said, I did have a few problems with it.
 
We meet Emma as she is about to make a split second decision to end a mans life, not just any man, Mobster Franco Dunvan's son Jeremy... The same family that killed her brother AJ.
 
I was in LOVE with Carter, cause I love me some badass and we get that in spades with Carter. It is referenced a lot, and I mean a lot, but I wanted more details! 
Carter as a man was beautifully written, he was so sweet to Emma and once you found out everything he has done for her over the years, I swear I swooned! I mean we all know he is in the Mob, but his reasons for joining tugged at my heart...
 
"I've been protecting you since I joined the Mauricio family. You were why I joined them in the first place"
What? I-what? My eyes implored him for further explanation, but I couldn't speak.
He grinned to himself and moved to press a kiss at the corner of my mouth. He didn't move away like he had before. He stayed there and I felt his tongue brush against my mouth. "Those men were hunting you down after they killed AJ. They wanted his family wiped out. I killed them and then I went to Mauricio. Your safety was part of my condition to join his family. You will always be safe. That's bee my first priority, even over the family itself. My elders know that. Anything I do for you will always be cleared with my family."
 
 
I really enjoyed the interaction between Emma and Carter. Their history was really important to the story. BUT, and its a BIG but, I needed more.... More details, skimming the surface of his life didn't work for me. I wanted MORE. The fact that Carter was kind of a mystery bothered me. We get a brief glimpse of his childhood and that was at least something. But the constant referencing too " I have done some really bad thing, things so awful that you may hate me ." TELL ME,  I WANT TO KNOW!!! I want all the dirty details...
 
NOW, I will tell you what I LOVED! EMMA! She became this, little badass! I mean killing a man would probably do that. She changed right before our eyes, and I am so happy the author did this. She made her stronger, passion filled...
 
The supporting cast was rather interesting. I could have done without the constant blubbering of Teresa. She was "sorta" important, but god she annoyed me, but I think that was the point.
I think Mallory would have been more interesting to have around, sense she was the reason Emma killed Jeremy.
Amanda, was kind of a wet blanket, but came around in the end and I liked her.
I enjoyed the playfulness of the guards and Emma.
Noah, had me confused, he was her boss, but never really acted like it. He was friends with Carter, but was always talking about his mob life and not in a "friendly" way. I don't know, he just confused me.
and finally Ben, well I am just going to leave it at that, he was an asshole and I didn't care for him at all. You will understand this when you read it.
 
I also must add, the sex scenes were OK. I tend to be one who, likes it dirty and detailed... and well this was missing for me. I understand not all authors like to go into descriptive scenes, I really do!  Some books do not need it but I felt that this book needed it. It was sweet and lovely at times and that was appreciated, I just wished for more...
 
 I thought that story was really good, it was the lack of details of the main characters that I missed. If I had it my way this would have been 400+ pages. I am fine with a long book, details are pivotal for me and Carter Reed was begging for more.
 
 
 
 


I am giving this 3 clocks... agree or disagree, let me know! 
 
 
 
 

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment