Saturday, January 18, 2014

Ride by JC Emery... Review by Dawn








~blurb~

Death comes in Armani. Salvation comes in leather. Principessa to the Mancuso crime family, Alexandra knows a thing or two about living outside the bounds of the law. Suffocated by the future her father has laid out for her, she makes a choice she can't take back, changing the entire trajectory of her life. Thrust into the dark and dangerous world of the Forsaken Motorcycle Club for her own protection, Alex finds herself faced with the last thing she needs right now: the man of her dreams. He’s sex in leather, the devil incarnate, and one hell of a kisser. But he’s also off-limits. Ryan Stone can be her friend, but he’s forbidden to be her lover. Third-generation Forsaken, Ryan knows nothing other than life on two wheels, and he wouldn’t have it any other way. He enjoys the many privileges that come with the patch, and the only laws he recognizes are the ones set-forth by his club. That is, until who he wants more than anything isn’t allowed on the back of his bike —or in his bed. Balancing his desire for her body, and need to keep her safe, Ryan tries to keep Alex at a distance. Finally having made a choice for herself, she’s done hearing the word “no” and will push boundaries even Ryan himself doesn’t dare cross. Love is never more tempting than when it’s forbidden.


From the blurb, this book has the making of exactly what I love to read about...bikers...badasses...a leading lady who is in trouble and of course drama and sex. I was set, ready to take the ride. Well, the idea of this book was great and full of promise. But for me the story fell a bit flat. I wanted more of her Mob family and the drama that would unfold when the Principessa walked away or rather was taken from that life.

At times the story was really quite good, but those moments would be followed up with me shaking my head and asking "what just happened?" or "well, once again no action ." I think I was 50% through this book before Ryan and Alex did more than kiss.  OH! and random make out with Duke, her "one and only friend who was a whore bag"... I was left very confused by this.

Her friendship with Nic, really was flat at best. They really didn't do anything or interact all that much with each other.
Ian was/is a HUGE mystery to me... as is her father and TWIN brother Michael. YES, I said twin. It would seem he would have at least played a MAJOR roll in her life. I mean yes, he comes back and all, but his reappearance is really a flash in the pan.
WHO, I did love was her "aunt" Ruby and uncle Jim, they were the bright spot in this book. They were loving, funny and we not afraid to tell it how it was. I like that in my strong characters.
I loved the dogs...
I even like the budding relationship between Alex and Ryan, it was slowwww.... but it still has a sweetness to it. Now, I am not going to tell you what happens when they finally do the deed, but it does NOT go as planned for Alex. It was kind of hard to read because you knew she was already in love with him and to be treated like that, it made you feel bad for her.
What I LOVED the most was the pinky thing...That was their way of connecting...

Like I said I like my bikers badass and that was the worst part of this book for me, there were NONE! or at least we didn't get to see it or I missed it.

I didn't connect with the characters and that makes me sad, because I really wanted to just love this book. With that said I am giving Ride by JC Emery 3.5 clocks... I will be reading the follow up Thrash, I have to see what happens to some of the other players. Ride does not leave you with a cliffhanger.


Amazon link




No comments:

Post a Comment