Sunday, January 19, 2014

Knock Out by Michelle Mannon....Review by Dawn


~BLURB~
Logan Rettino never imagined she'd fall so far. Dropped by her ex on national TV, she's gone from prima ballerina to ring card girl, reduced to revving up the crowds before MMA bouts. However distasteful she finds her new job, it pays well...and she needs the money if she's ever going to rebuild her life. Promised a huge bonus if she can convince a brooding, gifted welterweight to keep fighting, she'll do whatever it takes to earn his trust.
Keane O'Shea is unbeatable in the octagon. A former marine, he fights with a ruthlessness no gym jockey can match. He knows his brutal strength is too much for the delicate ex-ballerina, regardless of how fascinating he finds Logan's tight dancer's body. But one private performance and he's drawn to her in a way he can't—or won't—resist.
As Logan discovers the heartbreaking truth that lies beneath this handsome warrior's rage, she'll need to forfeit everything she thought mattered for the one thing that matters the most: saving Keane from himself


When I received this book as an ARC I sighed, "ugh another bad boy fighter book, another Travis Maddox wanna be."  Well let me be the first to tell you, I WAS WRONG! 

 Keane O'Shea is sexy, fierce, a man full of secrets and most of all he is damaged and haunted by his Marine past  He is honest and up front about  "I don't talk and I don't want a woman for more than one night." . Keane is an amazing leading man, although at times the fact that he is a man of few words get a bit annoying. He never really offers any conversation, only talks back when talked to. I really can't get into a lot of his issues because that would spoil it for you. He broke my heart in different parts of this story.

Logan I really liked! She had so much growth in the story. Hell bent on revenge against her cheating, lying, thieving, fame whore of an ex. She must now work as a ring girl for MMA fights. He embarrassed and injured her on live television, taking away her status as a prima ballerina. She literally falls into Keane's arms one night as he is on his way to the ring.  But don't think that is all its going to take to make him notice. Her slimy boss wants to fire her daily, so he comes up with a plan to keep his money maker, Keane fighting, enter Logan. 

I was so glad that Logan went to Keane and laid it all out to him. I am not a big fan of the "hidden drama" in a lot of books, I appreciated that the author did this.  They disagree and he doesn't want to continue... she convinces him...  The connection Keane and Logan have is in a word, intense. She see's that he is damaged and does everything to get him to open up and the more she tries the more he resists.  
This is where the story got a bit, um, slow or tedious for me. The constant referencing to "his issue" was getting to be very repetitive.  I get it, he's not going to open up all of the sudden. The thought that was on repeat in my head was "beating a dead horse". There is a lot of back and forth between them and its the same argument. OH, and the fact that Logan said "well, bleeding leotards" drove me nuts!

They have chemistry, and lots of it and it's HOT! Logan's never been with a man like Keane and she is experiencing things she never knew were possible. Lets just say the ballet dance was smokin'... But OMG, the cable car ride, made my  list of  "places I need to ...." Holy crap it was HOT!!!

This book has a great message about PTSD and the issues that come with it. I also like the fact that Logan's priories changed, when you have someone in your life that is battling to just live another day, the little stuff falls to the wayside.


I am giving Knock Out 4 clocks!!
Review based on ARC copy























No comments:

Post a Comment