Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Terrible Love by Marata Eros


 Terrible Love

 Blurb
 Jess Mackey is living a meticulously fabricated lie of necessity. She's left the secret tragedy of her past behind along with who she was and is forging ahead with a clean slate. But Jess soon discovers that passion can't be left behind—neither her own, nor that of the one man who sees who she really is…and whose unexpected presence may breach the peaceful life Jess has painstakingly created for herself.Devin Castile didn’t expect to meet a young woman who may be the missing puzzle piece to his existence…and who is also the victim of a heinous crime. Devin convinces himself that he can remain emotionally distant even while indulging his physical desire for her. But when Jess’s lies begin to crumble in the face of their undeniable attraction and the truth is revealed, one of them might pay with their life.


Talk about PLOT TWISTS.... there were so many my head was spinning and I am not sure I really loved that. The storyline was very dark which I didn't mind at all, it was just hard to keep up sometimes.

The characters I did enjoy,
Jewell/Jess, she was so complicated and that made her interesting to me. Her story was torture. Years of knowing she was running for her life and never letting herself find happiness out of guilt made me want to see her happy. She did everything right, staying under the radar changing her name and appearance, she became Jess... and then she met him...she gave up everything to save herself... so would letting herself have a bit of pleasure be her downfall?

Carlie, she was funny, witty and loyal. 
Brad her biology class mate, he was funny as hell! He stood up for her and I just liked him...again, another character that was NOT used to his full potential.
and of course Cas, but more on him later...

...and now the ones who were not my favorite.
Amber was a wet blanket, she seemed like an after thought. Like, OH I need one more girl in this book.
Mitch, well Mitch Maverick.... what a complete ass! He came on as this nice sweet hot guy....and WOW the change in him.  I want to say I didn't see it coming, but it was eluded to enough times in the book, that we kinda figured it out!
Brock, again what a dick! I will say I was pleasantly shocked by his plot twist... I did NOT see that coming!
Mr. Boel, or "Captain Ballet" as I called him. Egh, he served his purpose...teach, criticize, make Jewell/ Jess a better ballerina... that's about it for him.
Thad...I have only one way to describe him....sick...sick...sick.

For me this had the makings of a great book, but the holes in the plot were hard to get past. I was bothered by the amount of times they mentioned Jewell/Jess's faulty door knob. I know this seems petty but with 12 women murdered in this college town it would seem that campus housing might get to it .
With the amount of blows Jewell/Jess took to the face and head, I am shocked she could even formulate a complete sentence!
My other issue was... 4 guys all interested in the same chick? I know they each had a reason BUT it was just too much.
Also it needed more details about Thad... not just the basics, we needed more in depth insight as to why he was the way he was. The slight glimpse we did get of his disturbed mind was really interesting, I just wish she would have developed him more.

Now on to the bright spot in this book...CAS.... Blaine "Cas" Castle ... holy crap he was intense, sexy as hell and full of secrets. I am not going to give away much about him as it would ruin the story for you. He captures Jewell/Jess's attention at her ballet audition and from that moment on, he was forcing his way into her closed off life. With a proposition from Cas  the journey leads to amazing hot sex, fights, distance, kidnapping, death, injuries and complete disclosure.
I liked them together, but was annoyed by the conversations or lack there of. I KNOW WHY but sill,it bothered the hell out of me. In the end we get to see Cas be the hero he is, and see how much he has put on the line for her.
The epilogue was as always greatly appreciated !!!!

I would say this, read it and see if you have some of the issues I had...or read it and if you LOVE it please let me know.

I received this in ARC format, so it was a tad bit hard to get past some of the typos and the editing was subpar at best.


I am giving Terrible Love by Marata Eros
2.5 clocks







 

No comments:

Post a Comment