Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Last Hit byt Jessica Clare and Jen Frederick....review by Kathy

-Blurb-
Nikolai:

I have been a contract killer since I was a boy. For years I savored the fear caused by my name, the trembling at the sight of my tattoos. The stars on my knees, the marks on my fingers, the dagger in my neck, all bespoke of danger. If you saw my eyes, it was the last vision you’d have. I have ever been the hunter, never the prey. With her, I am the mark and I am ready to lie down and let her capture me. Opening my small scarred heart to her brings out my enemies. I will carry out one last hit, but if they hurt her, I will bring the world down around their ears.

Daisy:

I’ve been sheltered from the outside world all my life. Home-schooled and farm-raised, I’m so naive that my best friend calls me Pollyanna. I like to believe the best in people. Nikolai is part of this new life, and he’s terrifying to me. Not because his eyes are cold or my friend warns me away from him, but because he’s the only man that has ever seen the real me beneath the awkwardness. With him, my heart is at risk..and also, my life.

I read the blurb on this and was immediately intrigued. How does a contract killer fall in love. Does he share all of his secrets with her? Does he lie and say he is someone else? Can she ever really be sure of him? What about his past employers? Will they want her dead or as a tool to make him behave? So many questions from such an innocent little blurb.....

I watch her through my bathroom window. I've placed one of my four rented chairs in here for that express purpose. I tell myself it is not creepy, as the American girls would say, because I watch everyone. But really I watch only her.

I cannot see everything. I've never seen her nude. I've never seen inside her shower. Smartly there is no window there. But I can see her bedroom and her living room and beyond that, with my scope, her kitchen. I know her schedule. When she gets up in the morning, when she returns to her apartment. If she were a mark, I could've killed her a dozen times over by now and been in the wind.

She throws her bag onto her bed and then lies down next to it. It takes many muscles to smile, more to frown but only a few to pull the trigger. I peer down the scope and place my crosshairs over her forehead. Puff, dead

Nikolai is an amazing hit-man. he has been brought up killing. He is ridiculously good at it, and doesn't fail. He spends hours/days/weeks finding out everything about his targets to make sure that the job gets done. He has done this for so long and is so cautious until Daisy. She is quickly becoming his world. He was never supposed to talk to her.He was only going to watch her. He was supposed to be watching his mark, but Daisy was what he wanted. Then he talks to her and knows he has to have her. To protect her. To be there for her always. He would need to stop the killing.

Daisy is newly free from an oppressive childhood. Her past has so much pain in it. She finally was able to run away from it all. She had no clue that HE was watching her. That he wanted her. That he would do anything for her. Then she meets Nick and her world changes. Everything is different. Nick is loving. He wants to protect her and tells her she is beautiful. He helps her to see that you can overcome things. He is also the her first kiss, first everything. She is in love.

Then the unthinkable happens. They take her and her roommate. They want Nikolai. They tell her everything about the man she loves. What he has done. Who he has killed. Can he save her and her friend? For someone who has always worked alone, he must now trust others to help him get his Daisy and her roommate.

 I absolutely loved this book. There was a point that I was screaming at my kindle. Yelling NO. I cried. My heart was breaking. I was shocked because I honestly didn't see certain things coming in this book. I was amazed by the writing. It had me by the throat and heart all the way through it. I even had to discuss it with my husband( To his utter disbelief.He didn't really need to check Facebook right?) I was going to add other quotes and then thought nope. You guys have got to read this book. There was some very steamy sex scenes and some great foreplay in a car.
I give this book 5 clocks. This is the start of a new series and the second book "Last Breath" will be released in 2014. I am so looking forward to that one. Has characters from the first book in it and you just know its going to be another grab you by the balls and heart all out, holy s@#t how did I not know this was going to happen book. Jessica Clare and Jen Frederick freaking rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment