Friday, December 14, 2018

Beautifully Broken by KB Winters ..... Review by Dawn




Beautifully Broken (Reckless Bastards MC Book 1) by [Winters, KB]


As an ex-Navy SEAL there are a few guarantees in life.

Avoiding relationships is one of them. Dealing with PTSD is another. 
So when I come across the Reckless Bastards MC, it’s perfect for a man like me.
Last thing I expect is to encounter Jana Carter at a painting class. Don’t ask why I was there.
I can hardly keep my eyes off of her. She’s a shy, sultry vixen, and she grabs a hold of me so hard, I can’t let go.
But, I don’t expect to fall for any women—much less find one who can deal with me and my messed up past. 
Just when I thought I’d built strong walls around my heart, I discover her walls are reinforced with steel. She’s so pure, so innocent—and hard.
Against all the odds, I want her.
I’ll do anything to have her, to make her mine.





This is a new to me MC author and I will have to say that I did enjoy this book. NOW, with that said, I hardly found this book to be a "true" MC book. The club was a pit stop and not the destination. With being touted as MC, is sorta of a stretch. BUT this is BOOK 1 so maybe that was the intention of the author to introduce the characters in this manner.... Still, it bothered me because we really never met "the club." To me this was a guy who knew members of an MC. JUST MY OPINION ! 

 Jana, was incredibly likable. Her smart mouth and quick wit were hilarious and at times heart breaking. She and her best friend Teddy, are a flipping dream team. They call each other out on their bull and pull each other up when they are down. Being that Jana, is scared and wants to live a life in isolation, Teddy makes it her job to bring her out in public. Jana's story is heart wrenching and I honestly thought we would get more of it. I thought past people were going to show up again, but they didn't and I am not sure how I feel about that. 

Max, is carrying scars of his own. Suffering from PTSD, he is suffering nightmares and drinking too much just to cope. He is seeing a therapist on the regular, but it is not helping all that much. When it is suggested that he get back to things he enjoyed doing before the military, like sex ... so he goes back to painting. Attending a class that does in fact change his life, when he meets Jana. 

The friendship that develops was really a beautiful read. Max, by no means hides his attraction to Jana, but he lets her make the moves (not very MC.) But once she does, they are explosive!

Now, this is how the club is involved. They happen upon Jana one day at the grocery and insult her...YEAH. Max, catches it and well loses his mind, but still it is never really resolved. (Not very MC.) Max, goes to the club that he has not visited in months (um, hello?) and they are all just welcoming... I had a hard time with this, he was a dang nomad at this point, not a member.
Overcoming their pasts and being honest is difficult for both Jana and Max. It is especially hard when Max, runs at the first sign of trouble....many times. He is suffering and refuses to let Jana in . Jana on the other had, has made her mind up. If he can't be there full time, he isn't allowed to be there at all, even if she is in love with him.

This story does have a very good message about excepting help from other and overcoming your monsters to see the beauty right in front of your eyes. For that reason alone, this book gets 4 clocks. I just wish it was either a TRUE MC or not described that way. AGAIN, these are just my opinions. 





4 Clock for Beautifully Broken 
by
KB Winters



No comments:

Post a Comment