Friday, July 23, 2021

Skin Deep by Renee Miller......................................Review by Dawn











Victoria MacDonald wants to die but finding a way to go beautifully is difficult. She’s tenacious, and vows to find a way to leave this world with the beauty she fought so hard to attain. Somehow, her search for the perfect suicide turns into murder…

Detective Amos Christianson answers a call about an intruder at Victoria’s house. It’s her second home invasion in less than a month, but this time she kills her attacker in “self-defense.” Something about Victoria’s story stinks, though, and Amos can’t let it go.

He can’t let Victoria go either.

As they spiral into separate obsessions, their paths twist until neither can untangle themselves from the other, and Victoria’s desperate search for a beautiful death forces Amos to make a drastic decision.

But is the price for freeing himself of her insanity too high?




REVIEW

 I try to find something positive to say about every book I read and review, this one has me on the struggle bus. I was so intrigued by the blurb and was IN.  I was ready for this horror/sex-based story, but this fell through on both fronts. I will admit I am not a super big fan of short stories and often feel like they are rushed and forced. I felt that 100% with Skin Deep. 

I hated the mother but I hated our leading lady Tori even more. Don't get me wrong I am all for killing a main character and even hating a main, but she literally had zero redeeming qualities. Amos was a bore, a snooze fest as a leading man.  There was more of a connection with his boss than his "love" interests Vicitoria and Vickie (really original.) I wanted to get behind a cop falling for a suspect and that really is a great plotline, but again, this fell so flat on story and character development

The entire idea behind the "shadow man" I felt was ridiculous. I just did not like that element at all. The plot had so many holes and left me thinking "there has got to be more..." and there was not. We end a chapter and the next we are 3 years down the road and kids are here now and Amos has a dead wife. WHAT??? 

I wanted to like this so much but I did not, I am honestly surprised I finished it.  I am sure there is an audience for this but sadly I am not a member of it. 



Skin Deep 
by
Renee' Miller

1 Clock


honest review based on book provided by NetGalley


No comments:

Post a Comment