Sunday, October 20, 2013

Very Bad Things by Ilsa Madden-Mills...Review by Dawn








~blurb~
Born into a life of privilege and secrets, Nora Blakely has everything any nineteen-year-old girl could desire. She's an accomplished pianist, a Texas beauty queen, and on her way to Princeton after high school. She's perfect. Or is she?

Leaving behind her million-dollar mansion and Jimmy Choos, she changes the course of her life, becoming a girl hell-bent on pushing the limits with alcohol, drugs, and meaningless sex.

Then through a chance encounter, she meets her soul mate. But he doesn't want her.

When it comes to girls, twenty-five-year-old Leo Tate has one rule: never fall in love. His gym and his brother are all he cares about...until he meets Nora. He resists the pull of their attraction, hung up on their six year age difference.

As they struggle to stay away from each other, secrets will be revealed, tempers will flare, and hearts will be broken.
Welcome to Briarcrest Academy...where sometimes, the best things in life are Very Bad Things.


Nora Blakely is about do make changes in her life that are going to have an impact that she never imagined. Unable to live up to her Mothers (BITCH FROM HELL) expectations, she is rebelling in ways that are so out of character for her, she may finally feel something, anything besides fear and alone.  Her father is a little (and I do mean fractionally) better than her mother. He chooses to just sit back and accept things, even things he knows nothing about. Giving a speech as the class president of a private school, was nothing new to Nora, she was a spelling bee champion, honors student and all around good girl....until today. Unable to take it anymore she feels herself slipping into panic mode, and can't make the words come out...so she says what she feels for the first time in her life.

Clearing my throat, I leaned over the podium until my lips were right on the microphone and delivered my new opening remarks, "Fuck, Briarcrest Academy, and fuck you all."
Finally, some of the pain and darkness that had been wrapped around my soul fell away.
I smiled for real this time without even trying.
It felt good to be bad.
 
 
Leo Tate was in the audience, he is 25 and guardian of his brother Sebastian, who is new to Briarcrest. Leo was shocked to see this perfect girl, up on stage telling everyone to "F off," but he was fascinated with her. She looked lost, hurt and in trouble. And boy does she give him lots of trouble!
 
I really feel like I can't give you much more, it would be doing you a HUGE injustice. This book is so freaking fantastic!!! I thought I would have issues relating to a 18/19 year old girl, but good lord you do not! I assumed many things about Nora, spoiled little rich girl just acting out...Well, let me tell you I was dead WRONG. She had so many layers and was beautifully written.
 
The depth the author goes into with each character is just spot on perfect! I loved Sebastian, he was just one of those good guys... I mean we all know that one guy who is just fun, kind and a good guy. I know I had a friend like that in high school. Sebastian make me smile so much.
Aunt Portia was so lovely. I loved that Nora had her in her life.
Mila, Nora's BFF was fun, and fierce. She may look all polite and innocent, but she had a bit of venom, when pushed.
Teddy, he was so refreshing and just sweet. I loved the interactions with Nora.
 
Leo, good lord Leo... he was damaged and guarded. BUT, his natural instinct to protect and care are so wonderfully delicious. He is trying his best to ignore the pull he feels for Nora, to the point of having to hurt her.
 
I loved the back and forth of these two, he would give her an inch and she would shoot right back at him, giving him an inch x10... The dynamic between these two was AMAZING. The chemistry was off the charts! You just know its going to be explosive when or if they get together.
 
The only complaint I would have, is the unfinished business with her Mother, aka, Bitch from Hell. I really wanted her to have a conclusion, but when you read it, it makes sense, I wouldn't have a thing to do with that women and what she did.
 
Guys, this book is so freaking amazing... I loved it... I mean could not put it down! I finished it in a day.  Very Bad Things gets a 5 clock review across the board from me. GO GET IT, READ IT!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment